Please note: this event has been submitted by event organisers. Please contact Melissa Krige for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org – Cell: 082 4110448
Dates: 9-11 September 2011.
Description: Imagine being surrounded by nothing but a majestic forest, hearing nothing but the sound of the wind in the trees, seeing no-one except the creatures of the forest and your fellow campers, and doing only earth loving activities like pruning, weeding and alien clearing, all while learning about and being inspired by the trees around you. For an entire blissful weekend.
Come join us In Celebration of Forests and Arbor Week for A Tree & Forest Awareness Weekend at Platbos Forest.
What to expect:
- A practical, outdoor weekend of celebrating trees and forests that will change your way of seeing trees.
- Getting active – pruning trees, weeding recently planted sites and alien clearing
- Learning about practical topics from how to plant and prune trees correctly, to understanding which tree specie to choose, where in the landscape to plant it and how to avoid inadvertent abuse of trees.
- Learn why Arbor week is the worst possible time to plant trees in the Western Cape!
- Walks beneath the canopy of Platbos will offer a deeper understanding of forest dynamics and how human activity has impacted this vital ecosystem.
- Enjoy silent walks in the forest, the beautiful mother-of-pearl labyrinth and a meditation guided by Melissa Krige beneath the forest’s 1000 year old Milkwood tree.
Trees are an integral part of our landscape – both urban and natural. Be inspired by Francois Krige’s love and passion for trees and forests. Based on over twenty years of experience, Francois has a huge depth of knowledge and a unique insight into the workings of trees. Past participants have enthused that he has enabled them to see trees and forests in a whole new light.
About Platbos Forest (www.platbos.co.za)
Platbos, Africa’s Southernmost Forest, hidden in the Uilkraal Vallei between Stanford and Gansbaai, is an old-growth indigenous forest. Growing upon an ancient sand dune with neither a river nor spring to sustain it, the forest survives the hot, dry summer months by drawing moisture from the morning mists that bathe its thirsty canopy. Platbos is the largest surviving fragment of what was once a much greater forest: isolated pockets of indigenous trees can be seen dotted throughout the Uilkraal Vallei and even in and around the town of Stanford.
Camp beneath the magical forest canopy: bring along your tents and sleeping bags or sleep beneath the stars if the weather permits.
Cost: R750.00 (including all meals and tea breaks. Vegetarian option available on request.)
Please transfer the R750 per person into the bank account below and send through proof of payment to email@example.com. Once we receive your proof of payment, we will send you an email confirmation.
Mowbray Branch, Branch Code: 02 49 09
Name of Bank Account: Sowers Seed
Account Number: 07 373 3520
Reserve your place soon : space is limited to 30 participants!
Other accommodation options:
If you prefer not to camp, please contact one of the nearby accommodation options listed below. Please note this cost will be additional to the cost of the weekend:
Farm 215: www.farm215.co.za
Nature retreat & fynbos reserve offering luxurious, eco-accommodation +/- 5km from Platbos
Bodhi Khaya Retreat: www.bkr.co.za
The beautiful retreat centre 3km from Platbos.
De Uijlenes: www.deuijlenes.com
Rustic Farm accommodation +/- 1km from Platbos
Offers a variety of accommodation options, +/- 1km from Platbos.
Witkrans Cottage: http://www.earthdesign.co.za/contact.html
A self catering cottage across the valley from Platbos.
Any other enquiries please contact:
Cell: 082 4110448