***View the 2009 guide***
Ten days to Christmas – eep!
Well, happily for those of us who prefer to stay well away from the madness and mayhem of malls, there are even more local markets than I’d originally thought.
Thanks to you readers out there I’ve discovered a couple more that need to be added to the original list I put together last week…
- [WOODSTOCK] The Neighbour Goods Market will be hosting a special evening market on Thursday the 18th of December from 6.30pm to midnight (thanks for that info, Amy!). Old Biscuit Mill Complex, 373 – 375 Albert Rd Woodstock.
- [RONDEBOSCH] The Rondebosch Craft Market will be on tomorrow (16 December, which is a public holiday) as well as on Saturday the 20th of December – both from 9am to 2pm. And, additionally, they’ll be having an evening market on Tuesday the 23rd of December, from 3pm to 9pm. The market is held at Rondebosch Park, Crn’s Campground & Sandown Roads, Rondebosch.
- [PLUMSTEAD/DIEP RIVER] Constantia Valley Farmers Market will be hosting a special market in addition to their regular Saturday morning markets. This market will be held on Wednesday the 17th of December from 2pm to 8pm at the 3 Arts Centre on Main Road, Plumstead. (market info)
- [WOODSTOCK] Wild Trading Store will be holding the second of two festive season night markets on the 19th of December, from 6pm. The market will, according to organisers, have a “relaxed evening christmas cocktails type of feel”. On offer will be festive hampers, organic bottled goods, christmas cakes, mince pies, cheeses, breads, eggs, wine and fresh produce, and a small selection of hand made goods (things like tea cosies, table napkins etc). 34 Salisbury Rd, Woodstock.
- [TOKAI] Porter Estate Produce Market. Every market during December will be Christmas-themed. Still coming: 20 December (Saturday) from 8am. Special events include treasure hunts for toddlers, busking musicians to keep visitors entertained, and every market day will feature the raffling off delicious prizes (final raffle on the 20th). To fit it all in, the market will open an hour early (ie from 8am) to give visitors more time to shop before it gets too hot. Chrysalis Academy, Tokai. (market info)
- [NEWLANDS] Kirstenbosch Craft Market. This huge and varied craft market is held twice during December to help us get in some extra Christmas shopping. Proceeds from stall rentals go to the Kirstenbosch Partnership Fund for improvements to Kirstenbosch. 21 December (Sunday) from 9am – 3pm at the Stone Cottages, corner of Kirstenbosch/Rhodes Drives.
- [OBSERVATORY] Obs Holistic Lifestyle Fair – Usually held on the first Sunday of every month, this colourful alternative market will have a special Christmas fair on Sunday the 21st of December (10am-4pm) at the Obs Recreation Centre (corner of Lower Main and Station roads, Observatory). Entry: R8 for adults. (more info)
So, here’s to mall-dodging, and to a Christmas that really is merry.