This one took some time to put together! Silly season means plenty to choose from – so here’s the best of the weekend’s activities, chosen from the Mother City Living Events Calendar… (don’t forget to check out the regular local markets, too, as they’re not included on this list)
12-16 December (Friday-Tuesday) Kleinmond and Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve.
This annual green living and outdoor festival is held in the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve’s coastal region of Hangklip-Kleinmond. Each day has a particular focus: Saturday 13th has a ‘Fynbos & Food’ focus; Sunday 14 has an ‘Ecoscape’ focus and so on.
It sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day, or a whole weekend… and they even have a farmers’ market planned for the 16th (9am-2pm), so you can stock up on your fresh produce before heading back to the city.
Friday 12 December. From 6pm. 34 Salisbury Rd, Woodstock.
Tonight (and again on the 19th of December), Wild Trading Store in Woodstock will be hosting a festive season night market. According to organisers, the markets will have a “relaxed evening christmas cocktails type of feel”.
On offer will be festive hampers, organic bottled goods, christmas cakes, mince pies, cheeses, breads, eggs, wine and fresh produce, and a small selection of hand made goods (things like tea cosies, table napkins etc).
Saturday 13 December. 10am to 3pm at the Bothasig Hall, Link Road (behind Super Plants).
An alternative fair that promises colourful stalls, packed with beautiful Esoteric and Holistic items and offers all kinds of holistic treatments (so you can spoil yourself before silly season gets to you!).
Entry fee: R5 for adults. For more info contact Nina on 082-637-7426.
Summer Elegance at the House of Krone
Saturday 13 December. Krone Estate. Tulbagh (midday to sunset).
This one sounds like the perfect way to spend a summer’s afternoon: “Vintage treasures, beautiful dresses, summer elegance ….The day promises to be a celebration of love, life and summer incorporating an eclectic array of treats to tantalize your senses – sushi & oyster bars, chocolates by Moniki, olives by Groote Vallei, nougat & turkish delight by Rodé and last but definitely not the least, the award winning Krone Méthode Cap Classic Sparkling Wines.”
Mmmmm…I wish I could go! Entrance costs R60 per person, which includes a Bubbly flute, bubbly tastings and cellar tours.
Saturday 13 December 9am to 5pm. Kloovenburg Estate. Riebeek Valley.
A new seasonal market to be held at Kloovenburg Olive and Wine Estate. Showcasing Kloovenburg’s range of olives and wines as well as the best local produce in the valley. (more info)
Sunday 14 December. 10am to 4pm.
Lovely new community market in Kalk Bay. I went last month, and thought it was great! Make a day of it, breakfasting in the ‘hood and sampling the sumptuous wares on offer at the market.
|From Kirstenbosch Craft Market|
Kirstenbosch Craft Market.
Sunday 14 December 9am – 3pm. Stone Cottages, corner of Kirstenbosch/Rhodes Drives
I love this market… it’s one of the best ways to beat the mall-rush and find presents whilst you’re enjoying yourself (how novel) wandering about under the trees near Kirstenbosch.
There are loads of quality crafts for sale in a wonderful venue (and proceeds from stall rentals go to the Kirstenbosch Partnership Fund for improvements to Kirstenbosch). The market is held twice in December, so if you miss this one, you can still go again on the 21st.
Upcoming events to look out for…
- 17 December (Wednesday): Constantia Valley Farmers’ Market will be hosting a special Christmas Market from 2pm to 8pm at the 3 Arts Centre, Main Rd, Plumstead/Diep River. More about the regular market here.
- 19 December (Friday): Wild Trading Store’s festive season night market. From 6pm. According to organisers, the markets will have a “relaxed evening christmas cocktails type of feel”. On offer will be festive hampers, organic bottled goods, christmas cakes, mince pies, cheeses, breads, eggs, wine and fresh produce, and a small selection of hand made goods (things like tea cosies, table napkins etc). 34 Salisbury Rd, Woodstock.
- 21 December (Sunday):
- Kirstenbosch Craft Market. 9am – 3pm. Monthly craft market held at the Stone Cottages, corner of Kirstenbosch/Rhodes Drives (held twice in December). Loads of crafts for sale in a wonderful venue (and proceeds from stall rentals go to the Kirstenbosch Partnership Fund for improvements to Kirstenbosch).
- Holistic Lifestyle Fair – Special Christmas fair (usually happens on the first Sunday of every month) at the Obs Recreation Centre, corner of Lower Main and Station roads, Observatory. For info call 788-8088.
- Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts – JOHNNY CLEGG.