Yikes! I still haven’t had time to write about what happened last weekend… and now it’s Friday again – where do the days go?
Anyway, taken, as always, from the Mother City Living events calendar, here’s a sampling of what’s on this weekend…
Saturday 22 November from 9am-2pm. Fish Hoek (look for signs)
The debut date of a new under cover all-weather fresh produce and gourmet food market for Fish Hoek.
According to organisers, Triangle Square will provide a platform for local producers of excellent produce to present their wares to the community.
The Emporium is for local farmers, purveyors of fine foods, organic merchants, original producers of luxury goodies, producers of seasonal goods, micro enterprises. (more info)
Sunday 23 November. 5.30pm to 6.30pm. Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden.
The 2008/2009 season of Kirstenbosch’s fabulous summer sunset concerts kicks off this Sunday evening with a show by Zebra & Giraffe.
Tickets go on sale on the Tuesday preceding each concert, from the Visitors’ Centre Ticket Office only. On Sundays tickets will be available at all three entrances.
You can also make telephonic bookings (021 761 2866) from the Tuesday before each concert, with an administration fee of R10 per ticket applicable.
And, new this year (I think) you can even make online bookings at www.tunegum.com.
For more info, and a downloadable programme, visit the Kirstenbosch website.
Rondebosch Potters’ Market.
Saturday 22 November from 9am to 4pm. Rondebosch Park, Cnr Sandown Rd & Campground Road.
This potters’ market is held twice a year (second last Saturday of March and November), and is a great place to find some unique, handcrafted Christmas gifts (better that than trawling the mall, if you ask me!). I went last year Contact: Iris Stuck (021) 715 5530.
Upcoming events to look out for…
Saturday 29 November:
- Fynbos Summer Fair. Country fair on the Fynbos Estate out in Paardeberg (about an hour out of Cape Town). Looks set to have a farmers’ market, wine-tasting, live entertainment, crafts and more. Cost is R15 for adults, R5 for children. Contact Diana on 022 487 1153 or visit the estate’s website: www.fynbosestate.co.za
- The Gardens Market – launch. A new green, organic, holistic, lifestyle market for the city bowl – to be held every Saturday morning from 8am- 3pm at The Tafelburg Tavern, 6 Roodehek Terrace (off Hope St.), Gardens.
- Harfield Village Street Carnival. 2nd Avenue, Kenilworth. From 9.30 am. Annual street carnival with craft markets and foodstalls. Pubs and restaurants alongside the road stay open all day. Quite a festive atmosphere! Free entry. For more info contact tony.thacker [at] telkomsa.net.
- Hout Bay Green Faire. A wonderful Green day on the Hout Bay common on 29 November. We will be exhibiting a range of green services/technology/ideas. Environmentally friendly products/ organic products / free workshops. Contact danialle [at] envirochild.org if you would like to exhibit. Free entry to visitors.
MENNGOS Food Garden Community Market at the AME Church, Derby Road, Lansdowne. 10am to 3pm. Fresh Organic Vegetables, Seedlings and Herb Plants, Tea and Cake Stall, Vetkoek and Curry, Small Pies, Fresh Farm Eggs, Frozen Fish, Arts and Crafts and Pet Rabbits will be on sale. For more info contact Petrina on 021 761 5411 / 083 281 7198.
- Nitida Farmers’ Market. Special Christmas Market (and the last of the year – there’s no market in December). A feast of fresh farmers’ produce and potential Christmas gifts at the Nitida Wine Estate in Durbanville. 7.30am – midday.