A growing list of all the fantastic green innovations in South Africa and out there in the wide world.
On home turf
- Green Home. South African supplier of biodegradable food packaging. All of their products are made from natural and renewable resources and are 100% biodegradable and compostable.
- Paperfoam – Composed 100% of recycled and recyclable materials, PaperFoam is an eco-friendly alternative to the standard plastic jewel case or digitray. Core elements manufactured elsewhere, but assembled and customised here in South Africa (with the hope that it will one day be viable to make them here)
- Rewardrobe – Recycling your wardrobe, a trendy second-hand clothing shopping experience. Based at the Biscuit Mill in Salt River, with roving sales venues.
- Water Rhapsody – Grey Water and Rainwater Harvesting systems in South Africa.
- The ‘Peepoo bag‘ – a biodegradable bag that turns human waste into fertiliser. (via)
- TeddyLux – turning discarded cashmere sweaters into luxurious teddy bears. (via)
- EcoFaebBrick – bricks made from cow dung! (via)
- ‘Beehive fence‘ – A simple fence made from wood, wire and beehives can deter elephants from raiding farmers’ crops. (via)