In celebration of the anniversary of 350 years of winemaking in South Africa, Groot Constantia Wine Estate will be hosting a series of classical concerts during the Cape’s 2009 winter season.
The concerts will be held on Wednesday evenings (fortnightly) at 7:30pm, from the 17th of June to the 9th of September 2009.
According to organisers, the artists have been carefully selected to represent some of the best talents from South Africa and they will perform programmes of their own choice to “wow (their) audience”.
The artists and the dates of their performances are as follows:
- 17 June: Opening Gala Evening: Cape Town’s most beloved Diva, Zanne Stapelberg, accompanied by Ean Smit, will present a programme entitled: “I want magic!”
- 1 July: The world renowned Counter Tenor, Calvin Wells, accompanied by the Camerata Tinta Barocca, presenting a programme of breathtaking virtuoso arias from the 17th and 18th centuries.
- 15 July: An evening of Quintets with the Amici String Quartet: Mozart’s ever popular Clarinet Quintet with Matthew Reid and the Brahms Piano Quintet Opus34 with Luis Magalhaes, fiery and emotionally charged works to move the audience.
- 29 July: The popular duo, husband and wife team, Luis Magalhaes and Nina Schumann in a two-piano concert, launching their latest CD recording and “dazzling audiences with their formidable techniques and stage prowess!”
- 12 August: Marc Uys in concert, one of SA’s finest violinists now residing in New York City, performing a programme of virtuoso violin music, accompanied by celebrated SA pianist Kathleen Tagg.
- 26 August: A solo piano recital by the famous South African virtuoso pianist, Jonathan Oshry.
- 9 September: The Camerata Tinta Barocca, a Cape Town based baroque orchestra, will be performing works from the era of 1659 and 1685 to highlight those “precious years of SA wine making history”.
All the evenings will include wine from Groot Constantia and a gourmet finger supper. Ticket prices are R240 per person and will be available from the 1st of June 2009 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 794 5128. All rights reserved. Tickets are fully refundable on cancellation of any concert.
Groot Constantia Estate is located on Groot Constantia Road, Constantia. You’ll find a map here. They don’t specify a venue for the concert (there are quite a few buildings on the estate), but I have emailed them to clarify this, and will update this post when I find out!